The super eagles of Nigeria will on Sunday 27th March engage the Walya Antelope of Ethiopia in a must-win African Nations Cup qualifier to be played at the magnificent Abuja National stadium at 7pm Nigerian time. Expectations are already high that the Super Eagles will soar over their Ethiopian counterpart come Sunday.
The chief coach of the super eagles-coach Samson Siasia has left no stone unturned in ensuring a resounding victory in the crunch encounter, by inviting key players to the team. Some of the notable players invited who likely feature in the encounter will include:
- Joseph Yobo (Fenerbahce, Turkey)
- Taye Taiwo (Olympic Marseille, France)
- John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England)
- Victor Moses (Wigan athletic, England)
- Osaze Odemwegie (West Brom,England)
- Obinna Nsofor (West Ham united, England)
- Joel Obi(Inter Milan, Italy)
- Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda, Israel)
With the quality of players at the disposal of the Nigerian team selectors, it will take a miracle for the Ethiopians to escape defeat in the hands of the desperate Super Eagles who have just three points from 2 matches while Guinea who are the group leaders have a maximum of 6 points from same number of matches.
The Ethiopian team
The team is made basically of home based players with just one notable player- Fikru-Tefera Lemessa who plays his club football with Supersports United F.C of South Africa.
It is also interesting to note that the Walya Antelope of Ethiopia is being coached by Nigerian-born Iffy Onuora. He will be torn between love for country and the team he will be leading to battle in his fatherland.
Facts and figures about Ethiopia football
- Nigeria beat Ethiopia 4-0 in a 1994 World Cup qualifying match played at the National stadium Lagos. That was the last time both teams at full international level
- Ethiopia won the 1962 African Cup of Nations trophy and also reached the last four at the 1968 edition
- Ethiopia is presently ranked 123rd in the world according to FIFA monthly rankings, while Nigeria is ranked 39th in the world
The Nigerian team would likely be adopting an attacking option with a fluid midfield and a dynamic attack which will most likely be marshaled by Real Zaragoza forward- Ikechukwu Uche, Osaze Odewengie and Obinna Nsofor.
Baring any unforeseen setback, Nigeria should be able to earn a maximum three points from this encounter to bring her total points to six from three matches. A draw will be a monumental achievement for Ethiopia who will be looking to play a tight defense to forestall an embarrassing goal margin. A win for Ethiopia is very unlikely, considering the fact that the Super Eagles have not lost at home in over 5 years.
Source by Clement Sadjere